Young Adult Ministry Nuts and Bolts
- Young Adult Ministry in the 21st Century: The Encyclopedia of Practical Ideas by Brad Lewis, Beth Robinson, Carl Simmons. ISBN: 0-7644-2801-2. Group Publishing
- Starting a Young Adult Group by Kelly Phipps. Free PDF download. Herald Publishing House.
Young Adult Trends/Culture
- Googling God: The Religious Landscape of People in Their 20s and 30s by Mike Hayes
- Emerging Churches: Creating Christian Community in Postmodern Cultures by Eddie Gibbs and Ryan K. Bolger
- The Church in Transition: The Journey of Existing Churches into the Emerging Culture by Tim Conder and Dan Allender
- Reaching People Under 40 While Keeping People Over 60: Being Church for All Generations by Edward H. Hammett and James R. Pierce
- Reverse Mentoring: How Young Leaders Can Transform the Church and Why We Should Let Them by Earl Creps
- The Emerging Church: Vintage Christianity for New Generations by Dan Kimball
- The Postmodern Parish: New Ministry for a New Era by Jim Kitchens
- The Multigenerational Congregations: Meeting the Leadership Challenge by Gil Rendle
- The Quest for Christ: Discipling Today’s Young Adults by Ken Baugh and Rich Hurst
- Why Christian? For Those on the Edge of Faith By Douglas John Hall. ISBN: 0-8006-3130-7. Fortress Press.
- After the Baby Boomers: How Twenty and Thirty Somethings Are Shaping the Future of American Religion by Robert Wuthnow. ISBN: 978-0-691-12765-1. Princeton University Press.
- Emerging Adulthood: The Winding Road from the Late Teens Through the Twenties by Jeffery Jensen Arnett. ISBN: 9780195309379. Oxford University Press, USA
- For Such A Time As This: Young Adults and the Future of the Church
- What is the future of the churches? In For Such a Time as This: Young Adults on the Future of the Church, Christian young adults offer an invigorating, new, and timely word on issues such as eco-justice, immigration, interfaith relations, peace and justice, and inclusivity of those on the margins.
- We Share: Identity, Mission, Message, and Beliefs
- The God We Never Knew: Beyond Dogmatic Religion to a More Authentic Contemporary Faith by Marcus J. Borg. ISBN: 9780060610357. HarperOne.
- Practicing Our Faith: A Way of Life for a Searching People, Dorothy C. Bass. ISBN: 9780787938833. Jossey-Bass.
- Living Jesus, Learning the Heart of the Gospel by Luke Timothy Johnson. ISBN: 9780060642839. HarperOne.
- Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth by Richard Foster. ISBN: 9780060628390. HarperOne.
- Loving Jesus, Mark Allan Powell. ISBN: 9780800636760. Augsburg Fortress Publishers.
- Soul Tending: Life-Forming Practices for Older Youth and Young Adults, ISBN: 9780687030798. Abingdon Press.
- Interpretation Bible Study Series, selected books of the Bible, Genesis – Revelation, Westminster John Knox Press
- 20/30 Bible Study for Young Adults (Series), Abingdon Press
- “Push It” Bible Study for Young Adults by Bible Quest
- Scripture Tradition and My Life by Kelly Phipps (Community of Christ) ISBN: 9780830910922, Herald House.
Justice and Peacemaking
- God’s Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn’t Get It by Jim Wallis. ISBN: 9780060834470. HarperOne.
- Me to We: Finding Meaning in a Material World by Craig and Marc Kielburger. ISBN: 9780743298315. Fireside.
- Consuming Faith: Integrating Who We are with What We Buy by Tom Beaudoin. ISBN: 9781580512084. Sheed & Ward.
- Financial Harmony by Orval Fisher
- Three Simple Rules by Theo A. Boers ISBN: 9780974910529, Morris Publishing
- The Power of Generosity: How to Transform Yourself and Your World by Dave Toycen. ASIN B000OEAK2U. HarperCollins Publishers Canada, Limited.
- A Greener Faith: Religious Environmentalism and Our Planet’s Future by Roger S. Gottlieb. ISBN: 9780195176483. Oxford University Press, USA.
Welcoming and Outreach
- First Steps – A ten-session, intergenerational, small-group study designed to answer the basic questions of people at the Seeker Stage. For example, What Is God Like? Who Is Jesus? What Is Prayer? etc. A variety of activities and scripture support are provided in each session of this facilitator’s guide.
- Understanding the Way – A twelve-session guide that explores doctrinal topics to help readers gain a deeper understanding of the theology and beliefs of the Community of Christ. Each session includes supportive scriptures and significant questions that are answered in this resource but designed for further exploration by those at the Disciple Stage.
- Seekers and Disciples – A five-lesson student booklet (free download) designed for use with people at the Finder Stage—individuals whose interest in the church is beyond the initial stage of seeking. An expanded facilitator’s guide containing scriptures, discussion questions, and reproducible student pages is also available to guide the learning process.
- Hospitality: Sharing God’s Welcome – This resource focuses on reclaiming the biblical art of hospitality.
- Vibrant Witness: Who, Me? is designed to assist members discover ways to develop, recognize, and share our witness through personal testimony and purposeful friendship.
- A Witnessing Community: A Basic Guide to Congregational Missionary Ministry – This is a beginning approach to missionary ministry that promotes the emergence of a Christ-centered and person-oriented congregation.
- Courageous Witness: A Teenager Shares Jesus is a collection of testimonies from the perspective of a teenager involved in front-line missionary ministry. This is a great resource for everyone, but has particular relevance to teenagers and young adults engaged in mission.
- Face Your Fears – Arguably the number one obstacle to Christian witness is fear—fear of failing, of being rejected, of offending the very people you want to help. This book highlights twelve stories that encourage readers to learn to share our witness. Face Your Fears is a follow-up to
- Sunday Night Live – chat room