By the IYF Committee
International Youth Forum (IYF) will run July 15–18 in Independence, Missouri. IYF events also will happen in the Dominican Republic and Honduras this summer. We invite you, as members of Community of Christ, to hold these events in your prayers and spiritual practices that allow this type of intentional focus.
Why are we asking you to place IYF in your prayers and spiritual practices? Because it is through the Blessings of Community that events like this are possible. Two statements from the Enduring Principles, Blessings of Community, may help frame this (www.CofChrist.org/ourfaith/enduring-principles.asp):
- We are called to create communities of Christ’s peace in our families and congregations and across villages, tribes, nations, and throughout creation.
- We value our connections and share a strong sense of trust in and belonging with one another—even if we never have met.
IYF is about creating those communities of Christ’s peace. We all are connected to those communities, and by entering into prayer and spiritual practice for those communities we strengthen that connection. Though we may not have met, or may never meet, we all are part of the fabric that creates Community of Christ.
Three areas that might be highlighted during your reflection:
- Those who are planning and preparing to serve at IYF
- Leaders of delegations who will be shepherding the youth
- Most importantly, the youth of our church
While it would be natural to focus more intentionally on those youth who will journey to IYF, we also ask you to hold up those who cannot attend. You also may feel led to focus on some other aspect of IYF in your reflection. That also is welcomed. May all know that God’s Spirit is with them as they prepare physically, mentally, and spiritually for this IYF experience.
Thank you for the time you put into this invitation. May it bless you as you share in the IYF community.